Over the past three years, more than 160 children have been burned by coals or campfires. Easter school holidays are here, and while there is nothing better than exploring Australia’s natural beauty, here’s five great tips to keep in mind before you begin your next adventure:
- Always check the weather forecast before heading off on an outdoor adventure so you know exactly what to pack. A first aid kit, thermal blanket, appropriate sleeping equipment, ample water and navigational devices are important for longer journeys.
- If bushwalking, always go in pairs and let someone know where you plan to trek to and the approximate time you will return. Don’t head out if the weather is nasty.
- Know your holiday address, beach access or GPS coordinates in case you require emergency assistance.
- Call triple zero (000) for an ambulance in an emergency.
- If you and your family light a campfire, make sure someone is keeping constant watch of it and always extinguish the fire with water.