A big part of what we do is giving kids in hospital the thing they crave most – the ability to just be a kid. Toys, books, art and craft, puzzles, games and other fun stuff. There is no end to the smiles you can donate.
We regularly get asked to supply toys and giveaways to the wards and outpatient clinics to help with distraction during procedures or treatment – and the children also get to keep this item as a reward. We also provide our inpatients with birthday presents on their special day.
Every donation is put to good to use and you can be assured that your donation will bring smiles to kids.
Infection Control is our number 1 priority so there are a few rules we have to follow to accept donated items into the hospital environment. If you want to help sick kids and their families in this way, we are happy to help.
- All toys must be new. We cannot accept pre-loved goods of any kind. Many patients have trouble fighting infections, so the hospital has this rule to reduce the chance of bugs entering the hospital.
- No toys with button batteries can be accepted or used within Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital or the broader Children’s Health District locations.
- Toys must be free of sharp protrusions or points that might cause an injury. Toys for very young children and toddlers must also be free of buttons, pins or other small objects that could be swallowed or inserted in nasal passage.
- We are not able to give out food, toys with toxic substances (eg. glowsticks)
- We are unable to accept balloons as the hospital is latex free environment.
- We are not able to give out items that are political, controversial, religious or offensive, nor can we give out toy guns or weapons.
- Please do not wrap your donations as we have to unwrap all donations
- We are unable to accept knitted blankets and currently do not require beanies however knitted bears and toys are acceptable
How can you help?
Keep in mind that many of these children will be confined to beds or wards, so toys that they can play with straight away are better than ones that have to stay in the box (eg. outside toys, pool toys, skateboards, scooters, bikes, pogo sticks).
Babies and toddlers
- Great presents for babies and toddlers include things that can be cleaned easily and do not have soft parts
- Rattles, duplo, flip phones, push/pull toys, noise makers, light up toys, interactive and/or musical toys, plastic baby mobiles, board books, plastic books
- Teenagers are often overlooked and we always need more presents for this age group
- Current CDs or DVDs (please check cover for warnings), Big W/Kmart/Target vouchers, iTunes cards, photo frames, caps, hair accessories, puzzle books, board games, stationery such as notepads, pens, pencils and bags/wallets.
Clothes and Toiletries
- Often families arrive at the hospital in crisis and don’t have any personal items on them
- T-shirts, shorts, skirts, pyjamas, underwear, shoes (thongs) for all ages including adult sizes
- Toiletries – travel size toothpaste, & toothbrush, shampoo & conditioner, brush, comb, body wash etc
Items we always require:
- Little bubbles
- Small containers of Play Doh 50g tubs
- Colouring in pencils and pens
- Colouring and activity books
We also currently have a need for:
- Plastic tea and kitchen sets
- Trains and train tracks
- Themed toys (Peppa Pig, Ninja Turtles, Paw Patrol, Thomas the Tank etc)
- Trucks and cars
- Activity or craft packs in sealed packaging
- Toys that light up (but do not contain button batteries)
- Board and card games that can be played in bed by young kids up to 18 year olds
- Cause and Effect’ toys for under 2s that don’t contain button batteries (e.g. Fisher-Price toys with sounds and lights)
- Brand new books (Where’s Wally, Princess Books, Cars, teenage reading)
- Vouchers for teenagers (Big W, Kmart, Target, Movie Vouchers etc)
- Sleeping masks for children
Where do I send my donation?
Children’s Hospital Foundation
Volunteer Services – 2b
Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital
501 Stanley St
South Brisbane 4101
Can I drop off my donation?
You can drop off donations to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital anytime between 9am – 6pm Monday to Friday and 10am – 3pm Saturday and Sunday. Please call us on 07 3068 1662 to let us know when you are coming. You can park in the main drive way on Raymond Terrace while dropping of your donation.
Att: Volunteer Services
Children’s Hospital Foundation
PO Box 8009
Woolloongabba QLD 4102